Geillis Duncan’s white dress from Outlander has been on my to-do list for such a long time, but for some reason kept getting pushed to the side in favor of loftier projects throughout the past year. I’ve already made Claire and Jamie Fraser costumes, but Geillis is such a fun character and I’ve always loved the weird factor that she brings to the story. It should be noted that I am not a strict historical costumer. I enjoy historical fashion and as an academic, I respect the educational work of historical reenactors, but as a cosplayer (or whatever term floats your boat), I prefer to recreate costumes as I see them on screen. I know a lot of Outlander costumers have chosen to make “historically accurate” versions of the show’s costumes, but screen accuracy and respect for the costume designs by Terry Dresbach are personally more important to me.
I had been hoping to find some more screen accurate fabrics, but after I found some pure natural colored linen at a discount fabric store for only $3, I decided now was the time. The arisaid (or plaid, depending on who you are talking to) and chemise were made from fabrics that I inherited from my grandmother. I had wanted to incorporate those fabrics into a costume, so despite not being perfectly accurate, they are meaningful to me at least. Between finding such a great deal on the linen and repurposing my grandmother’s fabrics, I only spent around $30 on this costume including all the notions and the brooch.
This costume wasn’t particularly difficult to make. I already owned all of the appropriate 18th century undergarments (stays, bum roll, and several petticoats), except for a sheer chemise. I honestly am not crazy with how it turned out and will probably make some adjustments to it in the future. The fabric, while pretty (and again, part of my grandmother’s stash), was a sheer synthetic that wanted to just shred itself at the hands of my sewing machine needle. I did French seams, which helped tame things, but because the fabric was so slippery, it was fussy and ended up taking a lot more time than I had intended.
I created a separate bodice and skirt. For the bodice, I already had a hand drafted base pattern that I’ve used for Tudor era clothing. The shape is so similar, I just modified it to fit my 18th century stays and to include the extra seams on the front sides that are visible in the reference photos. The bodice is fully lined with hand sewn armholes. There is no boning in the bodice, since I have a solid set of stays.
Geillis’ dress laces up the back, and I used the “cheat” method of installing metal eyelets and just hand covering them with embroidery thread (not a time saving cheat by any stretch of the imagination, fyi, just a non-historical cheat). I did this because again, this is a cosplay and not a historical recreation. I intend for this costume to get a lot of wear to cons, renfaires, and photoshoots, so it was important to make everything so that it will be resilient and can endure everything from multiple washings to hikes through the woods. 😉
The skirt is nothing special, just three larges rectangles that I knife pleated into a waistband. I didn’t have tons of fabric to work with so it isn’t as voluminous as I normally would have liked, but with the bum roll and three petticoats it ended up looking like it had more volume than it did. Again, everything has French seams except for the back seam which I flat felled.
The arisaid is just a large piece of textured sheer white fabric (also from my grandmother’s stash) cut like a men’s great kilt. Geillis’ arisaid appears to be finished all around with a gold rolled hem. I had not time nor inclination to do this by hand, so I tried to do this with my serger and ended up failing miserably. Again, old synthetic fabric. It just shredded when the needle it hit and no matter how much I fiddled with the settings on my machine, the rolled hem just ended up looking like messy loops. It just wasn’t working and my photoshoot was in two days, so I just said screw this and pinked the edges. I actually love the look of pinked edges, so it worked out fine. Geillis’ arisaid has no real pleating or draping action going on (she appears to wear it like a toga with a twist halfway through), it just looks like it is gathered at the top (so I basically cartridge pleated one end) into the lover’s eye brooch at the shoulder on the front and just folded flat on the back.
The lover’s eye brooch was interesting to make. I may do a tutorial eventually if I can will myself to make another one. Not particularly difficult, it was just a bit fussy and involved inadvertently breathing in more hot glue fumes that I should have. (mainly because glueing the pearls took about 5 times longer than I expected) The eye is taken from a portrait of Bonnie Prince Charlie (not sure if it’s the exact same one they used in the show, but it looks pretty darn close), and while I wish I could say that I meticulously painted the whole thing by hand, it’s a printed image. But for what it’s worth, I actually think it looks pretty good considering. The frame is made from stacked worbla and handpainted, and covered in pearls of two different sizes. All of the materials I used to make the brooch were leftover from other projects, so again, no additional cost!
The belt is just a cheap-o belt from Walmart. Geillis’ belt buckle is rhinestone encrusted, so the night before we did the photoshoot I popped on few rhinestones to bling it out more, but her belt also has some crescent shaped rhinestones (which I did not have on hand) so I will be adding those on later.
I took my time on this costume (I started it in October and finished it in December, but I completed three other costumes and attended several costuming events during that time period), but am glad to finally had added it to my repertoire. It’s been long overdue!