Belle Cosplay // Live Action Beauty and the Beast

Uncategorized

belle21aa

This costume is actually several months old and I’ve worn it several times at this point, but since I’m catching up on updating this blog I am only just now getting around to sharing it.

I’ve been wanting to make a Belle costume ever since I fell down the cosplay rabbit hole, so when the promos for live-action film came out in early spring 2017 and I saw the costumes by Jacqueline Durran, I knew immediately that this was the version of Belle I would be making. I love the traditional cartoon version of her costume as well and one day hope to make it, but the live action version had such beautiful colors and I have a soft spot for beautifully printed fabrics. (it should come as no surprise to anyone that I also own a collection of vintage dirndls)  I wasn’t so concerned with everything being exactly screen accurate, since the film hadn’t actually come out yet at that point. I would imagine by now you can probably find more accurate prints on Spoonflower these days, but considering I found everything for under $30 at a local fabric remnants store, I’m happy with what I have.

The dress is comprised of the overskirt and bodice, both made from blue linen, a petticoat, a red stomacher, a chemise, and a corset. The petticoat is constructed a bit oddly, in keeping with the source material. The top part is made from the same dark blue chintz that I used on the front of the bodice, and is fitted from the waist through to the hips, where the skirt is made from gathered white cotton. The bottom of the skirt has a wide band of grey and white seersucker.

I made the blue part from only four yards of linen, so I had to be really strategic in how I constructed everything so as to maximize the small amount of fabric I had to work with. The skirt is drop-waisted in order to reveal the chintz fabric on the upper part of the petticoat. There is white hand stitching around the waist. Since I didn’t have enough fabric for a wide turned up hem, I had to piece the underside of the skirt hem with grey and white striped seersucker that I had leftover from the petticoat. This has turned out to be one of my favorite parts of the costume, even though it is unseen.

The bodice is also constructed a little oddly. Historical costumers need to throw their ideals out of the window for this one.  It features a front part made of darker blue chintz and closes at the shoulders and the left side with lacing, which is basically red and white baker’s twine. I did hand bind the eyelets, a small but important detail. Underneath is pinned a red chintz stomacher, strategically asymmetrical.

While Emma Watson was vocal about refusing to wear a corset, I did opt to wear a corset, though I didn’t want to do with a rigid 18th century stay. Instead, I wore my trusty old Victorian corset that is lightly boned. The chemise isn’t screen accurate, since the sleeves aren’t gathered, but I had it leftover from my Outlander costume and it has worked fine with this costume.

The pockets at made from canvas and cotton ticking. I had seen a couple of other costumers who opted to handpaint the stripes onto their pockets, so that’s what I ended up doing for the blue striped pocket. (I can’t remember who it was now, but credits to them for their ingenuity) I decided to use ticking for the red one, since I liked the contrast of different stripes.

For a $30 costume that only took a week to build, it’s become my go-to costume and probably my most-worn of 2017.

(Just a side note, I am not accepting commissions from new clients at this time and I don’t sell my patterns)

belle16aa

Vanessa Ives / Penny Dreadful Cosplay

Uncategorized

penny16aa

A couple of photos of my new Vanessa Ives inspired costume from Penny Dreadful. (inspired, because I wore this to a historical themed event and not a cosplay event, so I didn’t want to wear a black wig) I have already made her black walking suit, but have been really wanting to make one of her more elaborate lace shirtwaist blouses. I hadn’t planned on making this particular one, but on a whim I ordered some lace, dug up some black glass beads that I had leftover from my Lucille Sharpe costume, and set about patterning and sewing it up. I will be honest, I wasn’t sure if I could manage constructing such a detailed costume piece in such a short amount of time. The blouse involved some weird patterning. I made a simple darted blouse, then patterned out the silk chiffon cutout. The black part is made from black lace flatlined with black cotton. The sleeve also has a shorter lace overlay.

Placing the lace was the hardest part, since it required a lot of trimming, layering, and manipulation to achieve the look of Vanessa’s blouse in the show. I also used antique lace on the neck collar and the sleeve cuffs. The blouse is adorned in black glass beads, though I ran out of time so I would like to add more in the future. I made a wide black velveteen belt to go with it.

I wore the blouse with my 9-gored walking skirt, though I would love to replace it with a black taffeta skirt in the future. My 9-gore skirt has proven to be one of my most versatile costume pieces, and I have worn it with about five different costume variants at this point! One day I still want to do a tutorial on how to make it.

penny15aa