Or, at least a regional 3rd at the Crown Championships of Cosplay. For Marie Antoinette, I actually ended up making about four different pairs of shoes on the way to the final product that I used at the competition. I had never made a full pair of shoes before until last summer, only shoe covers, etc. My dream had been to make “real” shoes, with wooden heels and all that, but there comes a point where you have to focus your priorities and while shoes were important, finishing out the actual gown to the highest standard took precedence. BUT, I still wanted Cinderella shoes for this.
The first pair was a complete trial-and-error situation. I patterned them from scratch, using heavy felt for my pattern to mimic the structure of the final shoe. It was weird, there are so many tucks and curves in shoemaking that you don’t realize are important until you make them yourself. The first version got thrown out pretty quickly, the second version is what came to DragonCon with me. These were pretty basic, with a vinyl sole, felt lining, and silver lame outer. The pointed toe was a little more compicated to get right than I expected, and involved lots of re-cutting of the pattern to get the point to fall in the exact spot it needed too. These were embellished with gold sequins and tamboured stars.
One of the things I loved about these is that they were comfortable. My last competition costume involved 6″ heels (a necessity in order to be true to Guillermo’s vision of Lucille Sharpe), and nerve damage happened (also something far too many competitive costumers are familiar with), so making comfortable footwear was a priority. But, the embellishments never pleased me all that much – I didn’t really plan out my design and hastily did it in the eleventh hour before con. I knew that these were going to be completely remade for the Crown Championships.
I pretty much went through the same process the second time around making these shoes, but I referred to my friend Casey’s blog post on making her own shoes for her Anne Boleyn costume (my friends also like to costume themselves as dead queens). I used her approach, since the interiors of her shoes were a lot cleaner than the ones I had previously made and that was one of the big things I wanted to improve upon. I made a whole pair, again, that I did not use (I guess theoretically I’ve amassed myself a great collection of shiny house shoes), because I struggled again with getting the pointed toe right. Lots of nipping and tucking for days – trying to fit shoe patterns on your own fit is weird – and I finally settled on something I was happy with. The final new product was simple but well-made. The interior sole actually looks like a real shoe sole which makes me happy. I pad stitched so that there would be a little bit of grip in there. I completed all of the hand embroidering and beading before I sewed the shoes together. All of the stars, like the ones on my dress, are tamboured by hand. No store bought appliques.
The design was a lot more intricate this time around. They’re incredibly tacky, to be sure, but that is what a 1930s star-themed faux-rococo costume is supposed to be. I love them. My happy moment was when someone backstage at the Crown Championships told me I had Cinderella shoes. Yes!
I completely forgot to mention my shoes during my five minute pre-judging, and while I’m sure they were seen, I was really disappointed that I didn’t have time to talk about them and have them seen close up. I spent so much time on these, and as with the rest of the costume, whenever you spend so much time hand embroidering something, there is a piece of your soul left in it. But I did make sure I kicked up my skirts to show my ankles on stage during the main show. I enjoy living scandalously.